Responsible for the design and development of data and technical artifacts supporting the execution of the various Research Studies and Analytic Product Development projects at BHI.
The role involves detailed interactions with both internal and external clients (Blue Plans, vendors, partners etc.), research and analytics staff to gather, refine and document data & analytics requirements. The role also includes designing analytic data sets, developing transformation algorithms, designing report formats and developing data validation and testing approaches.
The role will be a subject matter expert on the structure, semantics and nuances of the BHI data warehouse and applications. A major responsibility of this position will be to independently develop well-structured and optimally tuned complex SQL scripts to implement project-specific data extract, transformation and reporting logic. On short-term / ad-hoc analytics requests, the position will be required to independently carry out data analysis & reporting using tools such as SQL, MS Excel and SAS, in addition to data extraction and transformation
Required Basic Qualifications
- Degree with a health care or business analytic concentration preferred (or equivalent health care experience), specializing in Statistics, Mathematics, Computing Sciences, or Social Sciences with applicable and documented experience.
- A minimum of seven years of experience within a business environment with a minimum of 3 years within a managed care or health services delivery setting with expertise in analyzing large claims databases. Experience with healthcare informatics, provider contracting, benefit cost containment programs and/or medical economics.
- Ability to design, develop and interpret logical and physical data models (ERWin)
- Expertise in SQL with the ability to develop complex, legible and well-structured scripts in at least one of the major RDBMS platforms (DB2 preferred) in the UNIX environment
- Expertise in columnar databases and development of datamarts (ie, Vertica)
- Experience analyzing large datasets using SAS
- PC experience using database programs, spreadsheets, and word processing, including all components of MS Office (particularly MS Excel and MS Access).
- Experience analyzing raw medical and pharmacy claims
Preferred Basic Qualifications
- Graduate degree in public health, actuarial or healthcare research or other relevant concentration.
- Experience in consulting and implementing cost-effective care management programs
- Ability to build consensus for business results in a decentralized decision-making structure, relying on excellent process management and conflict management skills including advanced time and resource management skills.
- Advanced analytic skills with the ability to analyze and interpret data through complex analysis.
- Experience working with large data repositories and/or relational databases, as well as, experience with data mining.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes to both technology and business environments
- Ability to analyze data, and investigative skills helpful in resolving issues.
- Skilled in creative and independent thinking
- Ability to build consensus for business results in a decentralized, decision-making structure, relying on excellent process management skills.
- Healthcare Industry knowledge preferred. Experience with detailed healthcare claim line information highly desired.
We offer a dynamic work environment, competitive salaries, great benefits, work/family balance, a diverse workplace, and much more! Bring your skills and talents to an organization committed to providing the most advanced technology and services. If you are interested, please go to our website at www.bcbsa.jobs and select Blue Health Intelligence opportunities.
Our offices are located at 225 N Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611.