Data Intelligence, Business Analytics
See below Attensity's poll. Using Yahoo users, and Yahoo users only, as participants in the survey will result in a significant bias. This is bad from a design of experiments point of view, and no statistician would run a poll this way. Yahoo users (and social media users in general) are more liberal than other people. For instance, many older people or very poor immigrants who have no Internet account are quite conservative. This reminds me the famous poll 80 years ago when everybody with a phone (about 1% of the population at that time) was phone-interviewed. Turned out these 1% were the wealthiest Americans and had a very different opinion from the remaining 99%.
Palo Alto: Attensity, a provider of Social Media Analytics has teamed up with Yahoo to provide Yahoo (NASDAW:YHOO) to provide millions of yahoo users to vote and guage the popular sentiment for a certain presidential candidate.
Attensity calls it The Voice of Voter Application, which measures, monitors and analyses social media buzz around the presidential candidate in real time during the course of the upcoming ABC News debate among Presidential candidates, and deliver in Real time, dynamic reports to the Yahoo! elections website at http://news.yahoo.com/elections/debate/
It will include sentiment scores for every candidate as well as performace ratings on various issues that span healthcare, defense, economy and so on.